APPLICATION OF SOLID GRANULAR FERTILIZER
The right application of fertilizer consists in distributing the fertilizer as accurately, evenly and uniformly as possible over the field using a fertilizer spreader. The spreader may be of the centrifugal, pendulum or pneumatic type.
• With centrifugal or pendulum spreading, the fertiliser is propelled by a rotating disc or an oscillating tube, which is called broadcast spreading.
• With pneumatic spreading, the spreading device is a rail that is fed mechanically, and the granule is propelled pneumatically.
The most common system in France is centrifugal spreading. In that case, the fertilizer granules drop out of a hopper into a rotating disc, which has blades that speed up the flow of granules. The granules are then ejected at high speed away from the disc, and thrown on each side of the tramline.
For successful spreading, you need to pay attention to
• fertilizer spreader adjustment,
• soil and weather conditions during spreading (low wind, dry and rut-free soil)
• selection of fertilizer with appropriate physical characteristics.